Monday, July 16, 2007

Assignment

I received a phone call 3 months early inviting me to Guatemala. I accepted the position of Marketing Facilitator for the Sustainable Agricultural Development Project. What does that mean? The overall purpose of the project is to increase the quality of life of Guatemalan rural communities by promoting sustainable farming practices for food security and income generation.

I have two objectives:

1) Provide techincal training and technical assistance with efficient practices and functions in agricultural marketing to 940 farmers in 40 communities.

2) Provide technical assistance in adding value to farm products in harmony with the environment to 280 farmers in 40 communites.

The main focus of the Marketing component is to show small farmers how to earn mopre money from their farms. This involves market research, analyzing production costs and profits, and developing a marketing and production plan.

3 comments:

Mama's Blue Binder said...

Best of Luck, Buckle! I cant wait to see your pictures! your site looks great too!

Geraldine said...

Fabulous site, Michael! I'm so delighted that you are blogging - what a wonderful record of the adventure. I'm praying for you. Can't wait to read the next insallment.

Ciaran said...

Excellent idea Michael - keep the blogs coming and stay in the shade!